Bobcats get their hustle on, hold off Mount Saint Mary’s

Bobcats get their hustle on, hold off Mount Saint Mary’s

By: Michael T. Lyle, Jr. Sports

HAMDEN – For the Bobcats against Mount Saint Mary’s, the name of the game was hustling. They dove for loose balls, played tough defense and got their offense going on a few fast-break attempts. Heck, even the majority of the TD Banknorth Sports Center fans nearly jumped out of their seats as Evann Baker missed a one-handed dunk over a defender.

It was one of those nights for Quinnipiac, and against a Mount St. Mary’s team that’s known mostly for their defense, the Bobcats mixed up theirs with some quality offensive output from the usual cast.

DeMario Anderson scored 11 of his 21 points in the second half to help Quinnipiac bounce back from Saturday’s loss to Robert Morris with a 70-59 Northeast Conference victory. The senior captain also made some key defensive plays to fend off a late Mountaineer rally and got support from Karl Anderson and James Feldeine, two of five Bobcats that score in double-figures. Karl had 12 and Feldeine added 11.

“We played weak in the first half because they worked hard on defense,” said Bobcats’ head coach Tom Moore. “We were stronger coming off the screens and off the ball in the second half. The neat thing is that we had enough in the tank to weather the storm down the stretch.”

After a first half that featured four lead changes and seven ties, Feldeine and DeMario got things going for the Bobcats (7-8, 3-1 NEC) to start the final period. Feldeine knocked down a three-pointer, followed by a block by DeMario and another three-pointer that fueled a 14-6 run and opened up a 40-32 lead with under 15 minutes left.

The Mount (7-9, 3-2) kept their defensive pressure going against the Bobcats, and fatigue started to settle in late for the hosts. It sure looked that way as bad passing, sloppy possessions and a few silly fouls left the door open for the Mountaineers as Jeremy Goode scored on an uncontested layup in the lane to cut the lead to 58-51 with 4:18 to go.

But Feldeine and Karl put an end to the Mountaineers comeback as they scored on consecutive buckets to push the lead back up to ten, 67-57, with 1:22 remaining.

Goode led Mount Saint Mary’s with 15 points and Will Holland added 10.

“The came out and were more aggressive in the second half,” said Mountaineers head coach Milan Brown. “We found ourselves having to play uphill for so long. They simply beat us at our own game tonight.”

Mountaineer forward Sam Atupem got the visitors off to a 19-18 lead with a pair of buckets late in the opening half. A three-point play by Karl, then a jumper by Brian Geffen briefly gave Quinnipiac a 26-25 lead before a free-throw by Atupem drew Mount Saint Mary’s even at intermission.

NOTES: The game also marked the return of Casey Cosgrove, who missed Saturday’s game due to a back injury caused by hip-alignment. He went scoreless in 14 minutes of action. Moore said that he’s still fighting the issue, but its nothing serious.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s