Quinnipiac leaves Army unarmed

By Kevin Lo

(HAMDEN, Conn.)  – With just 2.2 seconds left on the clock, Jeremy Baker crashed the boards, tipping in a missed lay-up, giving Quinnipiac its first home victory of the season, 66-64 in overtime. Coincidentally this happened to be many of a first for Quinnipiac as it was also their first time in Division I history starting the season 2-0.

“We’re just trying to change the culture brick by brick trying to build a program,” said Coach Tom Moore.

The two teams were neck and neck the whole way in overtime. With 1:24 left to go the score was 64-62. Army hit a baseline jumper with 20.2 seconds to play to tie it at 64. In the last play of the game, Queens bred point guard James Johnson came off a pick and roll drawing a bigger slower defender and blew by him for a chance at a lay-up. It was off but Baker was there for his eighth board of the game as well as the winning tip-in.

Baker finished the night 8-for-11 from the field with 18 points and eight boards. James Feldeine went 8-for-12 from the field (4-for-6 from three-point territory) led the team in scoring with 24 points.

Army had a chance to capitalize off a Quinnipiac turnover and take the lead in regulation but failed to score. Instead Quinnipiac took a timeout with 46.3 to go and Johnson hit a pull up jumper with 24.9 to go making it 56-53.  Army refused to give in hitting a 3-pointer to send it into overtime.

The two teams  exchanged buckets deep into the second half as Quinnipiac was only able to muster a one point lead with 1:32 left in the half despite leading by as many as 14 at the start of the half. Moore contributed the Black Knights comeback to a lack of stamina.

“We hit the wall physically in the second half,” Moore said. “We were terrible defensively because of the fatigue, but offensively we never looked panicked on offense, I like that about these guys.”

Quinnipiac looked shaky out of the gates as Army got off to a 15-4 run to start the second half.

The Bobcats struggled on the offensive end and failed to pressure Army’s shooters on the opposite end of the floor. The Bobcats were careless with the ball, committing several turnovers allowing the Black Knights to creep back into the game.

The Bobcats led at the half by a score of 39-25. Good defensive play was key during the first half as Quinnipiac was able to pull away thanks to a slew of steals and hard-nosed defense. Feldeine helped provide most of the offense in the first half as he contributed 16 points, hitting two threes in a row in the first half, while Johnson took care of things on the other end with three steals in a physical first half.

The Bobcats next travel to New York, N.Y., for the Columbia Tournament hosted by Columbia University. They will take on the University of Maryland-Baltimore County on Friday, Nov. 21 at 2 p.m. The Bobcats will then face either Bryant University or Columbia the following day.

Click here to view the box score from this game.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s